When summer finally rolls around, I’m definitely too busy with fun outdoor activities to worry about planning outfits and making sure laundry is done. So when I find a good wardrobe piece that I can wear in a few different ways, I’m sold. Who has time to worry about outfits when there are happy hour reunions and road trips to plan, anyway?
I’ve found three great skirts: a delicate feminine mini, a bold patterned flared and a classic solid-colored midi that can be worn a few different ways, just so all of your summertime activities are covered.
W H I T E E Y E L E T M I N I S K I R T (J. Crew Factory, $ 44.50)
Look #1 – Checking out that new coffee shop with your friends!
1. This J Crew Factory Denim Chambray V-Neck is a great cut and color for summer—and a steal at $34.50! Denim is always a great choice to pair with those patterned skirts and shorts, and it’s so easy to just throw on a fun colorful necklace and go! I especially love wearing denim and chambray tops in the summer because they’re comfortable, low maintenance, last forever and go with just about everything.
2. Wooden beaded necklaces are definitely in for summer, and this Sunrise necklace from Etsy seller rkitekt has some great colors to match with your summer wardrobe. Since the denim top and white eyelet mini are blank canvases for color, it would be so easy to pair any color accessories you like!
3. This playful, casual look definitely calls for some fun shoes. Avarcas are not only comfortable, but you can wear them just about anywhere! They come in a ton of different colors and materials (check out the gold ones!), but I’m drawn to these berry wedges. They provide a bit of height that would definitely complement this shorter mini skirt. And since the two separates in this outfit are neutral, it’s a great opportunity to pick a fun color and just go with it!
Look #2 – Getting ready to brave the heat and spend some time outdoors
4. A graphic t-shirt like this Madewell tee would be a great lightweight material to pair with the eyelet fabric. To avoid the outfit looking too slouchy, I’d half-tuck the shirt.
5. Since the shirt has a large graphic on the front, it’s best to keep the accessories a little simple. These gold geo ear jackets from BaubleBar are a great option—I love the simplistic shape and you can dress these up or down!
6. Since we’re keeping the accessories simple, it’s a great opportunity to wear a necklace that is personal and delicate. Pair a simple necklace like this initial pendant from BaubleBar.
7. Red and white are always on-trend for summer! These red Swedish Hasbeens cross-strap sandals would look great paired with the white eyelet skirt, and you could also pair them with summery cut-offs, sundresses… you name it! They’re definitely a summer sandal that you can wear year after year and they’re insanely comfortable.
Look #3 – Brunch with friends or a relaxed summer internship ensemble!
8. Depending on whether or not you’ll be interning in an office setting, it can get pretty chilly. Pairing a denim jacket with this classic summer look would definitely complement the delicate eyelet fabric on the skirt.
9. Navy paired with white creates a great, classic summer ensemble. This silk top via Zara is a versatile choice that can be worn half-tucked, tucked or simply layered over the skirt.
10. Summer statements can be fun, but there’s nothing wrong with delicate pieces, either! This Kate Spade bow bracelet can be worn alone, or stacked to make a statement. It’s up to you!
11. Pairing navy and silver is a great summery choice—and summer metallics are always in. These classic pointy silver flats from Nine West complement the deep navy color of the blouse and definitely mix it up when paired with the delicate eyelet skirt!
B L A C K & W H I T E P A T T E R N E D S K I R T (Zara, $79.90)
Look #1 – Lunch with the girlfriends, date night or happy hour!
1. Since the skirt sits a little high on the hips, this shorter scalloped blouse from Ruche wouldn’t look too bulky if it was untucked and layered over. The scalloped detail and bright blue color would also complement the skirt’s bold black and white pattern.
2. I wouldn’t pair a bold statement necklace with the cobalt blue and bold pattern on the skirt. Instead, I’d opt for a longer pendant necklace with some mixed media, like this Couteau pendant necklace from Anthropologie. The wooden detailing would look great against the cobalt blue blouse and the specks of black and cream in the pendant would complement the pattern on the skirt!
3. Pairing a metallic shoe (like these Tobi heels from ShoeMint) would really tie this look together. Because the skirt is so bold, it’s best to go with a classic choice and let the statement skirt be the focal point of the whole ensemble.
Look #2 – Heading to class or a fun impromptu Instagram shoot with friends!
4. With a bold patterned skirt, it’s best to pair it with something simple, like this chambray top from Madewell. Tuck the top in or simply tie it at the top of the skirt for a fun, comfortable look.
5. Since the skirt is a clean black and white pattern and it’s paired with chambray, a fun statement earring can round out the outfit without taking too much away from the statement skirt. These brass ear cuffs from Anthropologie offer enough of a statement without overpowering the outfit—I especially love the geometric eye patterns!
6. Summer is a great time to just have fun with your accessories. Whether you’re having a bad day or just in need of some additional sparkle, this heart brooch from Ban.do is sure to get you bombarded with compliments and smiles. The pop of red would also look great paired with the chambray and black and white skirt!
7. You don’t want to be stuck with sore feet on your way to class or at a concert. These Tertulia heels from Anthropologie can provide you with a little height and the chunkier heel offers more support than a stiletto. Wearing a chunky, supportive heel is always a good idea for a concert, especially if you’re short like I am!
Look #3 – Heading to work or an office party!
8. Depending on your office’s dress code, a bold skirt like this would be great as long as you keep the outfit simple and let the bold pattern stand alone. Pairing it with a simple black option like this chiffon top from H&M is a great choice.
9. A simple pop of color statement necklace is probably your best bet for an office setting or get-together. This two-toned Cause A Stir statement necklace from Kate Spade is a great choice. The colors and gold detailing will also complement the color and gold heel on the shoes!
10. A pointy-toed pop of color would be a great option for the office. These vintage-inspired Arcade heels via Nordstrom are a great pop of pink that is still appropriate for an office setting.
F L A R E D S K I R T (Zara, $59.90)
Look #1 – A casual weekend look or summer date night
1. If you’re going for a laid-back date night vibe, this drapey top via J.Crew would look great half-tucked with the fuller flared skirt. The shirt also comes in a few different color options, if you’re looking for a fun color-blocked look!
2. Red and gold are always a classic combination, and with the fuller skirt and softer top, the Bimini earrings via Anthropologie are a great choice. They’re not too overwhelming and would look great with an updo or loose waves.
3. Mark bought me a really pretty heart knuckle ring from Catbird for my birthday, and I absolutely love it! It’s a really dainty piece that I can wear with just about anything, and I definitely make sure I have it on when we’re heading out for dinner or drinks. It’s date night—wear something special!
4. Since you’re keeping the rest of the ensemble pretty simple, it’s a great opportunity to play with some patterned shoes. These Thea sandals via Madewell in a classic black and white stripe would definitely compliment this maraschino-colored skirt and you could wear them with a ton of different summer options, like cut-offs, dresses and jeans!
Look #2 – Heading to the coffee shop to get some work done
5. Black white and red are always a classic choice. This versatile windowpane chiffon blouse from H&M would not only look great with denim and a colorful flat, but would look amazing half-tucked with this bright flared skirt.
6. With a patterned shirt, it’s best to keep the accessories a little simple or everything could look a little too busy. I love this classic necklace from Catbird—it’s a little gothic, but still dainty and feminine!
7. I love the detailing on these suede lattice wedges from J.Crew. Sure, pairing some black shoes with this outfit would be an easy choice, but this beige color provides a little lift and looks amazing with the bold red skirt.
Look #3 – A trip to the library to (finally) get started on that summer reading list
8. I love giving my eyes a break from contact lenses and slipping into my eyeglasses every now and then. These Finch frames from Warby Parker are a classic choice. The lighter tortoiseshell frames really complement the sandy-colored flats and beige tones in the top, too!
9. With a solid-colored skirt, a patterned top is always a great way to mix things up. This combination fitted top from Zara is a classic black and white pattern that would really stand out against this solid-colored flared skirt.
10. Red is a really versatile color that looks great with just about every neutral out there. And since the top contains black, white and beige, you could totally pair it with a warm, sandy-colored shoe like these hole punch flats.
Which look is your favorite?